Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Food for thought: Mr. Barack Obama

So we now have a new president elect: Barack Obama.

I was not glued to my television-- like so many others-- for election coverage last night. Instead, I engaged in the art of baking peanut butter cookies from a well-loved recipe. I found out about our new president this November morning from my neighbor's children; the kids were on their way to the bus stop chanting: "Bama Bama! Bama Bama!." CNN.com later confirmed my suspicion that our new president was the Democratic nominee.

I am not a political person. The one thing that really gets my blood flowing is when people are closeminded-- about food (yes, you CAN put salt on cherries and it is DELICIOUS.) All I really heard about Barack Obama is that he is out to make changes... and that he lived in Hawaii for a period of time. All I really have to say is this: as long as I can still bake peanut butter cookies, hear the kids in my neighborhood frolic, carefree, to the bus stop, and know that my world and the world of the people around me can keep turning--without threat--then, Mr. President, you are OK by me.

Congratulations to Barack Obama. Let's hear it for the President of the United States.

No comments: