Italy is one of my all time favorite countries. I have had the good fortune of traveling throughout this glorious region and sampling its wonderful food. The one thing that makes a great Italian dish (or any dish for that matter) is FRESHNESS of ingredients.
Italian Caprese salad, for all its simplicity, is absolutely delicious and endlessly satisfying.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2)
- 8 thick round slices of fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 8 medium round slices of ripe Roma tomatoes
- 3-4 large fresh basil leaves
- 3-4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Arange tomatoes and mozzarella on a plate. Tear basil leaves by hand and sprinkle them over the tomatoes and mozzarella. Drizzle everything with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.